I’ve designed the Killer Jazz Vibes Course for drummers, classical percussionists, or any musicians who have some musical experience, but have never really learned how to improvise.
It will give you a strong foundation in the fundamentals of jazz harmony, as well as jazz and blues language for improvisation.
This is NOT one of those “learn to play in 5 minutes” courses! Playing jazz is like learning a language – it takes work and regular practice! BUT, you should look at is as a fun adventure, and not some slog that is all work and no play. “Play” is the most important part, actually.
Playing jazz is not easy. You can learn and get better as long as you set yourself up for success. I’ve designed this course to give you a series of clear cut, achievable goals, along with stepping stones for how to reach them.
I want you to have fun learning these songs! Fun songs, cool riffs, clear presentation.
4 Mallets NOT Required!
You can play 99% of the lessons in “Killer Jazz Vibes Course” with two mallets. The only 4 mallet material consists of basic chord voicings and comping. It’s up to you to decide if you want to play with two or four.
What will I learn in this course?
- You will be able to perform five jazz tunes with improvisation at the end of this course! Give your friends a house concert!
- The jazz songs are original compositions of mine. Each one is based on a famous jazz progression so you can apply the lessons elsewhere (Alligator Bogaloo, Summertime, Take The A-Train, Maiden Voyage & a funky blues in G minor).
- How to solo using chord tones, pentatonics, blues riffs, and scale runs
- How to improvise with a plan
- Basics (the 12 scales, 5 most common 7th chord types, and ii-V-I progressions)
What comes with the course?
- 15 MP3 Play-Along tracks to download and use for practicing.
- PDF Book to download – with 5 original songs, 28 exercises, 28 solo etudes and 28 solo transcriptions (56 pages).
- 44 Video Lessons with overhead camera angles and on-screen music notation (More than 3 hours of content)
Are there sample lessons available?
Yes! Absolutely. You will find several lessons below that are open for you to check out and get a sense of how the course works. If you have any questions, you can always contact me!
Can I Get Feedback On My Progress?
For each song in this course, you can send me a recording and I will get back to you with my thoughts and specific suggestions for practicing. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!
What people are saying…
“I love the way that you teach (this course is great) because you go step by step, and it’s great for people that come from another culture (that didn’t learn jazz in high school and don’t play piano)….I play jazz drums, and work in a symphonic band, I know a lot of jazz music, but I can’t improvise. so the course is perfect for me.” – Patricio (Argentina)
“I just finished the course and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I feel like it gave me a more step by step approach approach to learning tunes without a lot of academic fluff..in other words you got straight to point! Even with a limited theory background this course could be taught to advanced junior high or high schoolers wanting to learn jazz vibes. I would definitely recommend this to private teachers (like me) who need a point of reference in terms of “how” to teach jazz vibes to the beginner. “ – David V. (USA)
“I completed both of your jazz courses with many repetitions. It was so clear and effective. In particular, I found it important for ad lib to play a lot of phrases and make them my own. Your solo transcriptions are full of sense, and very helpful for it.” – Naoyuki (Japan)
This Course includes:
- PDF book (56 pages)
- 44 video lessons (More than 3 hours of HD video content) featuring the overhead vibraphone camera angle and live musical notation scrolling.
- 15 MP3 Backing tracks.
- The 5 jazz tunes in this course are original compositions, but they are in the style of classic jazz standards like "Summertime", "Take The A-Train", "Maiden Voyage" and blues forms like "Alligator Bogaloo" (one in C major, another in G minor).
- 19 2-Mallet Technical Exercises
- 28 Solo Etude Lessons
- 28 Transcriptions of solos, based on each of the etudes.