11 Jazz Vibraphone Comping Etudes (based on “Standards”)
BACKING TRACKS INCLUDED!
These 11 etudes are specifically designed to give you creative ideas for playing chords behind a soloist within a band context. Each comping etude has a video!
Jazz Vibraphone Comping Etudes included:
- Blues In F (3 choruses)
- Rhythm Changes in Bb (2 choruses)
- There Will Never Be (2 choruses – based on “There Will Never Be Another You”)
- Starlight (2 choruses – based on “Stella By Starlight”)
- Autumn (2 choruses – based on “Autumn Leaves” in G minor)
- Black (2 choruses – based on “Black Orpheus” in A minor)
- Bossa Blue (3 choruses – based on “Blue Bossa”)
- Bird Lady (3 choruses – based on “Lady Bird”)
- The Whole Of Me (2 choruses – based on “All Of Me”)
- All The Things (3 choruses – based on “All The Things You Are”)
- Somebody’s Soul (1 chorus – based on “Body and Soul”)
Each chordal etude contains a list of the “special techniques used” explaining common harmonic embellishments and where they are applied in the etude. Types of embellishments used here include:
- Tritone substitution
- V7 chord alteration types
- Passing chords
- Chromatic approach chords
- Alternate chord progressions
- Substitute secondary dominants
- Adding 9ths, 11ths, 13ths for rich harmony
- Rhythm patterns commonly used in comping
- plus many others!
The PDF book also comes with the accompanying recordings of each etude – both the complete tracks (vibes, bass, drums), and just the backing track (bass, drums). So you can practice along!
If you have questions, you can always contact me!